Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Summer Fun

Last weekend, Zeke and I attended our family reunion. It was the 51st for this clan, but Zeke's first, and he had a blast! We got off to rocky start, with some car issues on our way to my folks' house, and then the boy broke out in hives... But the day of the reunion, all was well. He was very excited to arrive at the park, and be able to play with the "guys" (any group of two or more children gathered to play!). We spent time at the playground, and he was very excited to swim in the "big pool." Zeke showed us all the many uses of a plastic wiffle ball bat! There were about five bats, but he latched on early to one particular one. And he rarely put it down!



After dinner came the games. The games are a tradition at this reunion, and some of the games for the three and under group, I'll bet I played as a child! The first was to find the lollipops which were stuck into the ground. Bonnie, the cousin in charge, said "Go find the suckers." So, all the little kids started walking around, pulling out the lollipops. Except Zeke. He walked past lollipop after lollipop, looking for these "suckers" he was supposed to find. Not a clue! We had to yell "Pops, Zeke, find the pops!" Then, he got it. :)

For the next game, Dad, or some other male relative had to lay down on the ground with a bottle on his chest. The little ones had a paper cup, and would dip it in the water, run to dad, and try to fill up his bottle! Pretty funny. That one has been around a long time. I have to admit I got a bit choked up as they were preparing for that one. I remember Josh doing the same game. And after waiting so long for Zeke, here he was, taking part in this family tradition. It was sweet! So, since Shane wasn't there, poor PapPap was drafted. At one point, Zeke threw a cup of water right in his face! I thought maybe he tripped, but my dad said he doubted that- there was a pretty big grin on his face!! He totally got in to that one, and the egging on of the crowd, which was substantial. I have to note, however, that although my dear husband has two children, he has somehow escaped participation in this game! When Josh was three, Uncle Bob was the willing partner!



Well, games over, it was more running around, until it was time to go home. A great day for all.
We've mostly been hanging around this summer, not straying too far from home. Well, Josh and Shane have had their scout travels. Zeke has another follow up for his foot this Friday.

No comments: