Saturday, February 16, 2008

A few Steps...

Yesterday, Zeke got cast # 20. He did pretty well through the casting and removal of the old cast. The doctor has been out the past two weeks, so the place has been much quieter, with fewer patients. This helps. Also, as the PT is getting ready to cast, she has me stretch his foot. Yesterday, when she took over, he waved her hand away, and said "Mom. Stretch." It worked for her, because she was able to measure the angle while I stretched the foot. Yesterday, he went from 5 the week before to 10-15 degrees! That is great!
In between casts, I again took him out in the hall to try to get him to walk. Keep in mind, this is the 20th cast. And he had NEVER walked in between. Well, yesterday, after a few minutes, he stood with his foot on the ground. Then, after a few minutes, he walked! With the bottom of his foot touching the floor! He took a few steps all on his own, and walked a pretty good distance holding my hand. I think it surprised him too. It really has been like a miracle to watch this unfold. I tried to take a video on my phone yesterday, but I was holding the boy's hand, so it's a terrible video! But, I got a few pictures.
I don't know if you can tell a difference in his foot from a few weeks ago, but I can. (Sorry for the sideways pictures!)



For comparison's sake, here's Zeke before the first appointment.

He has played with these two dinosaurs the last two weeks. He takes the orange one and has it "bite" the long tail of the other one. Then, he says, "No. No Bite. No. No." Hmmm...think he's heard that before?

No comments: